Wednesday, July 30, 2008

RE: Application with Fabewriters

HERE IS AN ARTICLE I JUST WROTE YESTERDAY AND SENT TO MY FRIENDS, CLASSMATES AND ASSOCIATES HERE AND ABROAD....THANKS FOR READING...
 

"WHY" FIRST, "WHAT" NEXT

 

          "Nothing happens without a cause", Albert Einstein said. Conclusively, he came up with his famous dictum: "God does not play dice with the universe".

          Any action must have a cause. A police investigator, fiscal or defense lawyer looks at the motive of a suspect. This will determine the culpability or non-culpability of an act.

          In the choice of names, such selection may be predetermined by the motive of parents unless, paraphrasing Einstein, "they are playing dice with their child's name." If the parents' motive is good which I presume it is, then knowing the "what" in one's name is easily discernible.

          Now that some of us are old enough to understand the what, the why and the how of some normal and quirky events in life, have we curiously asked our parents if they are still living why they named us in such a way. There is nothing too late for such a query to determine their motive of giving us that name.

          Before imputing parental motive, let us reflect back our history as our names reveal our country's past. The genealogy of Filipino names, both surnames and given names, depicts the colonial subjugation of the Filipino race from the Spanish invaders to the American colonizers. Between those two periods, the Filipinos were briefly ruled by the Japanese. Intermarriages took place between them and so names were changed. After World War II when Filipinos started migrating to foreign lands and married other nationalities, new hybrid names came to the fore. From the "de la Cruz" to the " Santos ", the Spanish nominal influence. Then the "Fujisaki" to the "Edwards", the Japanese and American Era. Today, the "Curtis" to "Kim's" and the "Cindy's", the hybrid of names from European, Asian and other nationalities.

          And so, we go to motive. Let me sample my name "Manuel". Definitely it comes from my father's name who was a junior to his dad, Manuel, Sr, my grandfather. When my parents named me so, their motive was to perpetuate the name "Manuel" which by religious significance means "son of God". Without being irreverent, by Christian tradition and the rite of baptism, we automatically become sons and daughters of God. So why insist on the name "Manuel"?  Well, Filipino males are narcissists so perhaps, perpetuating their names means a lot to their egos. It adds a little stress to their children when they have to live up to their names.

          I know of someone who was named "Jumbo" after the 747 Jumbo jet. His brother was also named "Hawker" after that British brand jet. Of course, the father is a pilot. That is better than naming daughters after their aunts, grandmothers and mothers like Maria Luisa Garcia de la Vega. The poor child had to memorize and remember the names in kindergarten.

          Parents have funny or weird motives in giving their children names. When I trained at a call center for outbound sales agent, I came across a man named "Jesse James". Then, there was another named after the author of the famous sex books "Nexus" and "Plexus". When I commented what significant names they had, the response was very telling but realistic: "That famous Western outlaw, huh?" and "I know that one who wrote lust books."

          Can one change his/her name if it causes  embarrassment? Yes, there is a legal process known as Petition to Change a Name. Another instance is during a naturalization proceeding. I remember during my final naturalization interview, the hearing officer asked me if I wished to change my name. I never hesitated to say "No".  Had my name been "Casimiro Bukayo" then, I would have said, "Yes, sir, change it to CASMERE BOUQUET. That smells fresh than a burnt sugar.

         No, I like my name, "the son of God born immaculate". I am sorry if the Good Lord will confront me someday and say: "Goodness, what a son…sinful like chocolate!"

         Thanks for the parental motive of that name. Thanks for the memories.

 

Jun C,




> Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 22:41:57 +0100
> From: apply@fabewriters.com
> To: concepcionmanuel@hotmail.com
> Subject: Application with Fabewriters
>
> Hi Manny,
>
> We have vacant position for Part Time writers only.
>
> I liked your articles. I have considered you as a part time writer.
>
> Our rate per article is Php 50.00
>
> An article should have 400 words and should accompany pictures.
>
> Please email your articles to magazine@fabewriters.com
>
> Your submission of your book about taxi cabs is interesting. Since you
> ride taxi cabs a lot, I'd like you to do an article about taxi
> drivers, do an interview with them. You can ask about anything under
> the sun. If you can picture them, that it would be great since our
> readers are visual in nature. They like to see pictures alongside the
> articles. So everytime you ride a cab, just interview the driver and
> make an article about it. Don't forget to take a picture of the driver
> just tell them you write for an online magazine.
>
> Please make 10 articles. Deadline is in 1 week. After this, I'll email
> your next assingment.
>
> If you have a bank account, please send me your account number so I
> can just deposit your fee on it. Usually, it takes about 1 1/2 months
> for the crediting of the payments, but if I find your articles to be
> genuine, then your payment will be credited as early as 1 week after
> submission. We can also send your payment through Western Union.
>
> If you have any concerns, please email me at fabevic@yahoo.com. This
> is my direct email add.
>
> Sincerely yours,
>
> Vic Fabe
>
>



Use video conversation to talk face-to-face with Windows Live Messenger. Get started.

No comments: